Yeah, we routinely hear the mantra from the fitness pros: “Ya gotta work the core.” “It’s all about the core.”
Which is all well and good …
But how exactly do you rock that core?
Therein lies the million dollar question … to which, beloved Social Gals and Gents, we have the answer, courtesy of none other than celebrity trainer to buffed up stars like J-Lo, Brit, Heidi and more: DAVID KIRSCH.
According to the results-driven exercise maestro, making the most of our cores boils down to a few key moves incorporating a pull-up bar and medicine ball, that can be tackled either at the gym or in the privacy of your own home.
Here we go …
HANGING KNEE RAISE (10-15 REPS)
- To make the most of this first move, grip a pull-up bar with palms facing outward and elbows at right angles.
- Keep core engaged and be careful not to swing legs (to further protect the lower back).
- Beginners should start by bending legs and then bringing knees to chest (or as close as they can), while carefully contracting abs and working up to a straighter leg variation.
JACKKNIVES (12-15 REPS)
- Stretch out on an exercise mat with a medicine ball (of any weight) in hand.
- Follow with a crunch, lifting the ball, torso and legs simultaneously.
- Be sure to touch feet to ball, before pausing a moment at the top, and returning to the start position.
MEDICINE BALL SPIDERMAN (12-15 REPS)
- Place hands in plank position on ball.
- Bring each knee to matching elbow, keeping core engaged and hips elevated.
MEDICINE BALL SLAM (12-15 REPS)
- Extend arms overhead with medicine ball in hand.
- Slam ball down on floor, and then pick up on the rebound.
- The move will enhance core with the added benefit of upping heart rate via some cardio.
OK, you’re equipped with the right moves, Socials. Let us know how you fare …