Yes, the whole concept of having to say good-bye to summer … SUCKS. No sugarcoating there. But there are some silver linings, like the good food and drink we’ll be enjoying this weekend at our respective summer send-offs.
What to choose as the go-to Labour Day tipple? Ah, decisions. So many options, all good and welcome: bubbly, cold beer, fruity mixes and more …
That said, we’ve taken a decision on the Diary front and decided to, drum roll please … water up. As in: watermelon, which, fabulously, has merged with another flavourite –sangria – in one of the greatest collabs of all time: WATERMELON SANGRIA.
And it’s as delish as if sounds; the perfect fete farewell to one of our most beloved seasons.
For your fancy, the reveal. Enjoy and have a few for us:
- 1 Large watermelon
- 1 (750-ml) bottle of white wine, chilled
- 2 c. white rum
- 1 c. seltzer
- 1/3 c. lime juice (from approx. 6 limes)
- 2 limes, thinly sliced
- 2 c. assorted fresh or frozen fruit, (ie., pineapple, blueberries, and strawberries)
- Begin by slicing off the top third of the watermelon lengthwise (to be used later) and then score fruit with a knife.
- Reach for a large spoon, or ice cream scoop, to grab the watermelon.
- Then transfer all watermelon to the blender and blend until smooth (strain seeds if desired).
- Top off with the white wine, rum, seltzer, and lime juice. (Getting excited?!)
- Next, stir until combined before tossing in the limes and fruit.
- Finally refrigerate until chilled, which should take approximately 2 hours.
- Serve, enjoy. Say your summer goodbye in Social Gal and Gent style. 😉