If the intersection of fashion and fantasy is your thing (it’s mine – and ours – in world Diary), then you would have thought the style gods answered your prayers at the recent grand return of Canada’s beloved 8TH Annual Canadian Arts and Fashion Awards (aka CAFA) at the famed Fairmont Royal York Hotel in Toronto, powered by prestigious and generous sponsors, including Adyen, NARS Cosmetics, Tricon Residential, Baffin, Hudson’s Bay, Mercedes-Benz, Porter Airlines, Roche Bobois, Grey Goose Vodka, Château des Charmes, The Kit, Dolce Magazine, and Palettera.
Once again, the queen at the top, founder/ CEO Vicky Milner and her dream team, outdid themselves, pulling off one of the most glam-packed and impressive nights of fashion this country has ever seen, exquisitely hosted by sommelier and model Grace Mahary and French-Canadian actress Karine Vanasse.
It’s been a rough few years, Social Gals and Gents, but Canada will not be deterred and the magic and creativity champions on … Cheers to you CAFA! Thrilled to have you back and honoured to partake in the festivities awash in fashionalites.
Speaking of which, we’ve got the skinny on the awards and winners’ corner, courtesy of the PR and communications gurus at Maria Varvarikos Peart’s legendary Agence Zoi … Enjoy.
(As for those next level fabulous carpet-party pics, we’ve got those too (DUH!), See the Social Gal-lery below, shot be the award winning George Pimentel and his dream team …)
AWARDS & WINNERS NOTES
- The 2022 Outstanding Achievement Award was presented virtually by Matthew Williams, Creative Director of Givenchy and Founder of 1017 ALYX 9SM, to co-founders Rami Atallah, Firas Atallah, and Bassel Atallah of SSENSE for the Montréal-based brand’s international critical acclaim as both an e-commerce engine and a producer of cultural content.
- Jaimie Wylie presented Brooke Wall, founder and CEO of The Wall Group, with the 2022 Vanguard Award for her contributions as a trailblazer in championing and elevating creative talent across the industry.
- For the first time, CAFA introduced the Changemaker Award, created to honour the remarkable achievements of individuals who have spearheaded meaningful, positive, and progressive change within the Canadian fashion industry and beyond, proudly feting 2022 recipients Sage Paul and George Sully. Through her work as an artist, and Executive & Artistic Director of Indigenous Fashion Arts, Sage Paul has been an incredible champion of strengthening awareness, education and support for the diverse Indigenous talent in this country across fashion and the arts. Similarly, by creating the Black Designers of Canada Index, George Sully has long been a champion of change, strengthening awareness, resources and support for Black Canadian artists, designers and creators.
- The International Canadian Designer Award was presented by Caroline Vreeland to Jennifer Zuccarini, founder and CEO of Fleur du Mal, for her illustrious career and innovative approach to fashion.
- Tyler Franch presented Emefa Kuadey, founder of ISRAELLA KOBLA, with The Bay Fashion Fund, an initiative built to mentor and support emerging BIPOC designers and brands in Canada.
- The Womenswear Designer of the Year Award was presented to LECAVALIER by Amanda Brugel.
- The Menswear Designer of the Year Award was presented to Mr. Saturday by Karine Vanasse.
- The Award for Emerging Talent, Fashion, presented by Sonia Mangat and Kardinal Offishall, to an innovative Canadian designer who is emerging as a true creative force in Canadian fashion, was awarded to Kathryn Bowen.
- The Award for Emerging Talent, Accessories, presented by Sonia Mangat and Kardinal Offishall, to an innovative Canadian designer who is emerging as a true creative force in Canadian fashion accessory design, was awarded to Maguire.
- The Accessory Designer of the Year Award was presented to Melanie Auld by Fefe Dobson.
- The Outerwear Brand of the Year Award went to Sentaler.
- Calico received the Fashion Innovation Award.
- The Digital Fashion Creator of the Year Award went to Myles Sexton.
- Kevin Quang Thai Nguyen received the Fashion Design Student Award.
- The Model of the Year Award was presented to Awar Odhiang by Shayna McNeil.
- Justin Wu received the Image Maker of the Year Award, presented by Thierry Maxime Loriot, to an outstanding Canadian fashion photographer or filmmaker who has made a significant impact within the Canadian and/or global fashion industry.
- Willow Allen received the Fresh Face of the Year Award, presented to an emerging Canadian model who the industry recognizes as one of Canada’s newest and brightest fresh faces.
- The Stylist of the Year Award was presented to Nariman Janghorban by Tracy Moore.
- The Fashion Impact Award, presented by Grace Mahary to a Canadian designer or brand that has made a significant social or philanthropic impact in the Canadian and/or international community, was awarded to Izzy Camilleri.
- Elisapie presented Kelly Drennan, Fashion Takes Action with the Sustainability Award, which celebrates a brand or individual taking action and inspiring change in the fashion industry toward a more sustainable future.
- The Makeup Artist of the Year Award and Hair Artist of the Year Award were awarded to Viktor Peters and Janet Jackson, respectively by Rachael Ancheril.
Photography GEORGE PIMENTEL